Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Bloodthirsty Men

Proverbs 29:10

Bloodthirsty men hate one who is blameless
And seek the life of the upright.

Why such hatred? Because the blameless reveal the depravity of the wicked’s souls. Simeon said of Jesus that he would be a “sign that is opposed…so that thoughts from many hearts may be revealed” (Luke 2:34-5). This is why the bloodthirsty men of Jesus’ day put him to death. He exposed and pronounced judgment against their hypocrisy and cruelty. His own blameless life shamed their pretensions. His purposeful life showed up their fruitless lives. They hated him for being what they were not.


They hate because hatred is in their nature passed down from their father, the devil. Listen to what could be considered Jesus’ commentary on this verse:
“If God were your Father, you would love me, for I came from God and I am here. I came not of my own accord, but he sent me. Why do you not understand what I say? It is because you cannot bear to hear my word. You are of your father the devil, and your will is to do your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and has nothing to do with the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks out of his own character, for he is a liar and the father of lies. But because I tell the truth, you do not believe me. Which one of you convicts me of sin? If I tell the truth, why do you not believe me? Whoever is of God hears the words of God. The reason why you do not hear them is that you are not of God” (John 8:42-47).

No comments:

Post a Comment