Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Good News

 I have never been so scared in my life. And I have had reasons to be frightened in my profession. What, with long hours in the wilderness night protecting my sheep, there have been enough times when a lion or a bear has attacked my sheep. I did my best to run them off, but I’ve neither the courage nor the strength of David who slew them by himself. You’ve seen lions and bears in zoos at a distance. I tell you, it is far different to be confronted by one and hear his growl. Your hairs stand on end, and it takes a brave heart to keep from shaking or running.


But nothing compares to that night the angels appeared. First there was one. I least I wasn’t alone. There were several of us. We were not far out in the wilderness. Our flock was a special one, selected to provide the temple sacrifices. Therefore, we were near Jerusalem, just outside Bethlehem in fact. This was a safer environment for the sheep. We had them gathered in their pens. Some of the guys were about to settle for sleep while the others of us took the first shift of watch.

At that moment an angel appeared. I don’t mean for that to sound common. I don’t mean an angel appeared like, oh, a villager appeared. I mean an angel! How did I know it was an angel? It’s not like I know a lot about angels, but when someone appears out of thin air with a light shining all about him, I figured it was an angel. But even more…it’s hard to explain but there’s a feeling of being in the presence of holiness. Do you remember when God appeared to Moses in the burning bush and Moses fell on his face? All I can say is that I know how he felt. I was afraid before that angel, but it wasn’t the kind of fear of facing a lion; somehow it was more frightening and yet wonderful at the same time. Is there such a thing as a holy fear?

The first thing the angel said was, “Fear not.” Yeah, right; that put me at my ease! But then he continued, “For behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people.” I must have begun to relax a bit, because…to tell you the truth…I don’t think I’ve ever listened more attentively to anyone. I was about to hear a message from the Lord. I know what angels do. They deliver messages from God. And I was about to get one!

“For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord.” The Messiah! He’s announcing the birth of the Messiah! This isn’t just a message; it is the message that our people have waited to hear for centuries.

The angel goes on: “And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger.” Well now, that is an odd sign; not exactly what one would expect of the Messiah. But that’s okay; the point is that the angel was telling us we could go see him. The Messiah! Yes, we shepherds. I know it sounds crazy. Why tell us, and why should we be the privileged ones to go see him? I don’t know, and I didn’t ask. I didn’t have a chance to ask. Because suddenly – and I mean suddenly – there’s not one angel, but a multitude of angels – more than I could count – shouting out in praise to God. It was almost deafening, but still I heard what they said clearly: “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased.” I was trembling all over again. If it were possible, the hairs on my body stood up straighter. Fear and thrill and joy and blessing poured through me.

And then they were gone. The night was peaceful again as though nothing had happened. It was like waking from a dream, except the message remained clear. We decided to immediately find the baby. It didn’t take too long in a small town, even with a lot of visitors, to find where a new baby had been born. And just as we were told, we found him wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger as though we were expected. We didn’t stay too long. We told the parents what had happened and after a while slipped out. But I tell you…we were so happy we could have burst. We went out shouting praise to God. People asked us what we were so happy about. We told them about the child and what the angel had said. They were amazed, but they also thought we were fools. I didn’t mention this, but shepherds – even though our work was important – were not well thought of.

Again, you’ve got to wonder why we were given the message in the first place. Isn’t it strange how God chooses the foolish to show his wisdom? What is that saying… “Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world?” We may have been fools, but I will tell you this: we were fools willing to listen. We were not educated theologians who knew how to debate, but we did know how to listen and to obey and to believe. I’ll be truthful with you; the Messiah looked like an ordinary baby. Even so, I believed and I was happy then.

Of course, I did not know that he would become as one of my own sheep led to the slaughter. Nor could I have understood how doing so, he would become the shepherd for all people. He later would say to us Jews that he had other sheep as well who also would listen to his voice. He meant you, if you will listen. I am not an angel, but I tell you good news of great joy. For unto you is born a Savior who is Christ the Lord. Do you hear? Will you believe?

No comments:

Post a Comment