Monday, March 30, 2015

Psalm of the Cross

from Psalm 22

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?
    Why are you so far from saving me, from the words of my groaning?
O my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer,
    and by night, but I find no rest...

But I am a worm and not a man,
    scorned by mankind and despised by the people.
All who see me mock me;
    they make mouths at me; they wag their heads;
“He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him;
    let him rescue him, for he delights in him!”...

12 Many bulls encompass me;
    strong bulls of Bashan surround me;
13 they open wide their mouths at me,
    like a ravening and roaring lion.
14 I am poured out like water,
    and all my bones are out of joint;
my heart is like wax;
    it is melted within my breast;
15 my strength is dried up like a potsherd,
    and my tongue sticks to my jaws;
    you lay me in the dust of death.
16 For dogs encompass me;
    a company of evildoers encircles me;
they have pierced my hands and feet
17 I can count all my bones—
they stare and gloat over me;
18 they divide my garments among them,
    and for my clothing they cast lots.

How often did Jesus meditate on this psalm? He undoubtedly had it memorized. He quotes from it on the cross. He would tell his disciples that he must travel to Jerusalem for the very purpose of suffering and dying. This psalm describes that suffering. Hanging upon a cross, he is scorned and despised by the people. He is mocked. He is taunted - "He trusts in the Lord; let him deliver him." His hands and feet are pierced. Even lots are cast for his clothing.

What is it like to know that you will die a tortuous death? What is it like to march resolutely toward that death? What is it like to know that the one with you whom you have never been separated will turn away, so that you cry out "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

We do not know because our Savior bore such a burden for us. Whatever may happen to us, what will not happen is the turning away of God from us. Whenever death may come, it will but usher us into the presence of God, into the presence of our Savior, "who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God" (Hebrews 12:2).

No comments:

Post a Comment